This week, Governor Whitmer signed legislation aimed at recruiting and retaining skilled educators and counselors.
- Allows Michigan to accept out-of-state teaching certifications.
- Expands the ways educators can earn advanced teaching certificates.
- Allows the state to accept out-of-state counseling licenses, under certain conditions.
- Requires a mix of factors to determine compensation.
- Removes the requirement that public employers freeze compensation levels once a collective bargaining agreement expires.
- Simplifies the process for public school employees to pay dues.
- Removes restrictions on subjects that can be included in contract negotiations.
- Aims to bring transparency to the factors used to fill vacancies and conduct staffing reductions at public schools.