On Thursday, Governor Whitmer signed the education budget for the upcoming fiscal year. The budget makes several large investments in education, including the highest per-pupil funding and providing free breakfast and lunch for all public school students.
Higher Education & Workforce Development:
- A 5% increase for university and community college operations.
- $112 million to improve existing facilities, infrastructure, technology, and campus security.
- $50 million in additional funding for the Michigan Achievement Scholarship.
- $10 million for incident mapping to help with campus safety.
- $10 million to support adult postsecondary completions.
- $450 million deposit into a new rainy day fund for schools.
- $328 million for mental health and school safety.
- $254.6 million to expand free pre-K.
- $125 million for matching grants for schools to change their buses to electric vehicles.
- $25 million to new math intervention programs.