Legislation implementing Proposal 2 of 2022 passed the legislature this week, making several notable changes to voting in Michigan.
- Implements nine days of early voting for statewide and federal elections.
- Early voting sites must be open for at least eight hours.
- Early voting results cannot be generated or reported until after 8 p.m. on election day.
- Certain municipalities can tabulate absent voter ballots up to eight days before election day.
- Creates a permanent absent voter list.
- Expands the list of allowable types of photo identification.
- Separately, the legislature approved just over $45 million in the FY23 state budget for the implementation of the changes.
- The bills will be sent to Governor Whitmer for consideration.