Legislation was introduced providing local governments with funds to address public safety issues. The legislation, sponsored by Representative Alabas Farhat (D-Dearborn) and Representative Nate Shannon (D-Sterling Heights), aims to target resources to the communities with the highest need.
- The proposal creates the “Public Safety and Violence Prevention Fund.”
- A portion of sales tax revenue would be directed into the fund.
- Distribution of the funds would be proportionally based on a communities share of statewide violent crimes.
- No area could receive more than 25% of the monthly disbursement.
- The funding would be used for the purpose of new public safety and violence prevention programs.
- For the most part, funds couldn’t be used to replace existing resources.
The bills were referred to the House Local Government and Municipal Finance Committee for consideration.