The Michigan State Police recently released data on traffic crashes during 2022. While there was some positive movement in a few areas, the data shows a disturbing five-year trend that has seen fatalities on roadways rising 15% from 2018 to 2022.
- There were 1,123 fatalities, slightly lower than the 1,131 deaths in 2021.
- The number of motor vehicle crashes overall increased by 4%.
- Work zone crashes increased by 28%, including a 15% increase in work zone fatalities.
- Motorcyclist fatalities increased by 4%.
- Teen traffic fatalities dropped 34% from 2021 to 2022.
- The percentage of alcohol-involved fatalities fell by 10% year-over-year.
To view more information on the 2022 data, please click here.