Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed legislation that places portions of the federal Affordable Care Act (ACA) into state law. Should Congress act to repeal the ACA, these portions would remain in Michigan.
- Prohibits insurers from denying coverage based on gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
- Prohibits insurers from denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
- Requires insurance coverage for dependents under age 26.
- Prohibits insurers from instituting annual and lifetime dollar limits.
- Requires insurers to provide coverage for specified services such as hospitalization, pregnancy, and emergency services.
- Requires insurers to provide a summary of a health insurance policy and coverage to consumers.
- Prohibits insurers from rescinding coverage.
- Requires the level of coverage insurers must provide in the state, including coverage equal to a certain percentage of the full actuarial value of benefits under a health insurance policy.