Legislation seeking to foster clean energy growth, create good-paying, high-skilled clean energy jobs, and lower energy costs was signed into law this week.
- Allows local governments and commercial solar energy developments to opt into payments in lieu of taxes (PILT).
- Solar PILT aims to cut red tape, cut down on costly and time-consuming litigation, and clear the way for more solar energy.
- Expands the eligibility of properties and projects for Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE) financing.
- C-PACE allows local government units to work with building owners and contractors on energy efficient and climate resilient projects.
- Removes the sunset of the Michigan Energy Assistance Program, which helps low-income households with energy assistance for electricity, natural gas, and heating bills.
- Repeals the requirement that state regulations be no stricter than federal rules.