The House Elections Committee reported a bipartisan package requiring disclosure on political ads that contain images or videos generated using artificial intelligence (AI).
- The 2024 election cycle will be the first national campaign season with widely accessible AI tools.
- These tools allow users to synthesize audio in anyone’s voice, generate photo-realistic images of anybody, and power social media bot accounts with near human-level conversational abilities.
- A first violation would be a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.
- A second violation would remain a misdemeanor, but the fine would rise to up to $1,500.
- A third, and subsequent violations, would be a felony, punishable by up to two years in prison and/or a fine of up to $2,000.
- The bills were referred to the House floor for consideration.