Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive directive requiring departments and agencies to adopt a set of “Voting Information Best Practices.” The best practices aim to ensure residents can easily access voter information on materials produced by state departments and agencies. Additionally, the directive updates the list of designated voter registration agencies throughout the state.
The best practices include:
- Place a link to the Michigan Voter Information Center (MVIC) website in the footer or pre-footer area of each department or agency website.
- Include a link to the MVIC in the footer of emails distributed to the general public.
- Include a QR code containing a link to the MVIC on printed materials that are distributed to members of the public.
- Play a message containing information about the MVIC to those who call the office and are placed on hold.
- Encourage office employees to place in the signature of their office email a link or graphic that links to the MVIC.
- Place signage containing a QR code linking to the MVIC within public-facing areas of all offices.
- Encourage and create opportunities for office employees to volunteer as nonpartisan election workers.
The executive directive identifies the following state departments and agencies as voter registration agencies and should comply with the directive:
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Rehabilitation Services of the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity’s Office of Employment and Training
- Bureau of Services for Blind Persons of the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity’s Office of Employment and Training
- Wage and Hour Division of the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity’s Bureau of Employment Relations
- Michigan Worker’s Disability Compensation Agency
- Workforce Development of the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity’s Office of Employment and Training
- Michigan State Housing Development Authority
To read the full executive directive, please click here.