This Tuesday, a special primary election will be held in the 25th House district in southeast Michigan. The seat was left vacant following the resignation of former Representative Kevin Coleman, who was elected Mayor of Westland last November. Mayor Coleman has endorsed Democratic candidate Peter Herzberg to represent his former seat. However, fellow Democratic candidate Andrea Rutowski has been endorsed by Governor Whitmer and a number of influential organizations.
The district is located in Wayne County and includes the city of Wayne and portions of Westland and Canton. The district has a 62% Democratic base; thus, the winner of the Democratic primary is likely to win the special general election on April 16.
- Peter Herzberg – Westland City Councilman, project finance specialist.
- Melandie Hines – Wayne Westland Board of Education Trustee, political consultant.
- Shannon Rochon – Worked at the Michigan League of Conservation Voters and HeadCount Detroit, former campaign staffer including Bernie Sanders for President.
- Andrea Rutowski – Westland City Council President Pro Tempore.
- Layla Taha – Public health advocate and community organizer, former program director for Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib.
- Josh Powell – Army Veteran, product development program manager.