Jen Flood, Governor Whitmer’s deputy chief of staff, has been appointed the new State Budget Director beginning mid-November. She’s replacing Chris Harkins who is leaving state government.
- As deputy chief of staff, she oversees legislative affairs, federal affairs, policy, appointments, and the community engagement divisions.
- She previously served as Governor Whitmer’s director of legislative and public affairs.
- Prior to her work in the executive office, she was a policy advisor in the private sector.
- Additionally, she worked in both the Michigan House and Senate.
- She holds a bachelor’s degree in economics and a Master of Public Policy from Michigan State University.
- The office is responsible for all aspects of the state budget.
- It works with the executive office to develop budget recommendations, presents the budget to the legislature, negotiates the enacted budget, and implements the budget after enactment.