Democratic Congressman Dan Kildee announced he won’t run for reelection in 2024, setting up another competitive race in Michigan.
- He began serving in Congress in 2013, taking over for his uncle who represented the seat until his retirement.
- His long career in public service began at 18 when he was elected to the Flint Board of Education.
- Throughout his career, Congressman Kildee was also elected to serve on the Genesee County Board of Commissioners and as Genesee County Treasurer.
- He helped create the Genesee County Land Bank, the first community land bank in the country.
- Prior to being elected to Congress, he was co-founder and president of the Center for Community Progress.
- Currently, Congressman Kildee serves on the powerful Ways and Means Committee and the Budget Committee.
8th U.S. House District:
- The district is located in eastern portions of Michigan.
- It includes Flint, Saginaw, and Bay City, among other areas.
- The district has a 54% Democratic base, but that base has been declining.
- This will be a competitive seat in 2024, especially without an incumbent.