Today, the Senate Republican and Democratic caucuses elected their leadership teams for the new term beginning January 1, 2019. While these will be new roles for most of the members, several have previously served in leadership positions. Additionally, Senator Jim Ananich (D-Flint) was reelected by his colleagues to continue serving as Senate Minority Leader. Beginning next year, the Republicans will hold a 22-16 majority.
Senate Republican Caucus:
- Majority Leader – Senator Mike Shirkey (R-Clarklake)
- Majority Floor Leader – Senator Peter MacGregor (R-Rockford)
- President Pro Tem – Senator-elect Aric Nesbitt (R-Lawton)
- Senate Appropriations Chair – Senator Jim Stamas (R-Midland)
- Majority Whip – Senator-elect Pete Lucido (R-Shelby Township)
- Majority Caucus Chair – Senator-elect Curt VanderWall (R-Ludington)
- Assistant Majority Leader – Senator Wayne Schmidt (R-Traverse City)
- Assistant Majority Floor Leader – Senator-elect Dan Lauwers (R-Brockway Township)
- Assistant Majority Whip – Senator-elect John Bizon (R-Battle Creek)
- Assistant Majority Caucus Chair – Senator-elect Jim Runestad (R-White Lake)
- Assistant President Pro Tem – Senator-elect Lana Theis (R-Brighton)
- Caucus Dean – Senator-elect Ed McBroom (R-Vulcan)
Senate Democratic Caucus:
- Minority Leader – Senator Jim Ananich (D-Flint)
- Minority Floor Leader – Senator-elect Stephanie Chang (D-Detroit)
- Senate Appropriations Minority Vice Chair – Senator Curtis Hertel Jr. (D-East Lansing)
The House will be holding their leadership elections this afternoon. MLC will email our clients and post on the MLC blog when those are announced.
Michigan Legislative Consultants is a bipartisan lobbying firm based in Lansing, Michigan. Our team of lobbyists and procurement specialists provide a wide range of services for some of the most respected companies in America. For more on MLC, visit www.mlcmi.com or connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.