In the hopes of developing strategies that support and promote opportunities in Michigan for girls and women in sports, Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive order creating a task force to help accomplish that goal. The Task Force on Women in Sports will be housed within the Department of State and chaired by Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. The task force will develop recommendations to the governor and State of Michigan on legislation, policies, investments, and programs to address the problems.
The members appointed to the task force are:
- Penny Allen-Cook, commissioner of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
- Dr. Ketra Armstrong, an associate dean, professor of sport management and faculty athletics representative at the University of Michigan
- Kathy Beauregard, director of intercollegiate athletics at Western Michigan University
- Keri Becker, director of athletics at Grand Valley
- Lorin Cartwright, retired athletic director and athletic trainer from Pioneer High School
- Carolyn Cassin, president and CEO of Michigan Women Forward
- Dr. Judi Brown Clarke, diversity director for the BEACON Center at Michigan State University
- Cali Crawford, incoming director of athletics at Schoolcraft College
- Joanne C. Gerstner, sports journalist in residence at the School of Journalism at Michigan State University
- Jennifer Grange, an advocate for nonprofit and charitable causes
- Mike Guswiler, president of the West Michigan Sports Commission
- Carol Hutchins, head coach for softball at the University of Michigan
- Sam Mullet, offensive coordinator for the Bear Lake varsity football team
- Erika Swilley, senior director of community and social responsibility for the Detroit Pistons
To read the full executive order, please click here.
Michigan Legislative Consultants is a bipartisan lobbying firm based in Lansing, Michigan. Our team of lobbyists and procurement specialists provide a wide range of services for some of the most respected companies in America. For more on MLC, visit www.mlcmi.com or connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.